List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Mirmon names of countries
From:       "Henk P. Penning" <henkp () cs ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-20 20:45:02

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Chris Howells wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:30:57 +0000
> From: Chris Howells <howells@kde.org>
> To: "penning@cs.uu.nl" <penning@cs.uu.nl>
> Cc: "kde-www@kde.org" <kde-www@kde.org>
> Subject: Mirmon names of countries

> Hi,
>
> First of all thanks for mirmon, very useful for looking at the status of
> mirrors :)
>
> Secondly... I'm on the KDE webmaster team, and unfortunately we've had a
> couple of complaints from Taiwanese users that their country was referred to
> "Taiwan, Province of China".... Trying to avoid the politics, it does seem
> that Taiwanese people don't seem to like this term.
>
> Would you consider changing the name for Taiwan in mirmon to simply say
> Taiwan?

Chris,

  -- thanks for using mirmon.
  -- I understand that you get complaints from Taiwan,
     but the name is in the ISO list.
  -- you can easily change the region headers ;
     in the mirmon config file, look for a line like

       countries   /home/henkp/mirmon/prod/countries.list

     ... and edit all you like.

  -- when I roll a new mirmon distro, the software grabs
     the latest ISO list and includes it. I don't feel
     like changing that.

  There are more strange names:

    mk - macedonia, the former yugoslav republic of
    ps - palestinian territory, occupied

  Hope this helps.

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: +31-30-2513791 /  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html           \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/