List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Notice from a Macedonian user
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-01-15 13:33:10

It still seems that the internationnaly recognized name is still FYR
Macedonia, however I have it only indirectly.
http://www.france.diplomatie.fr/actu/articletxt.gb.asp?ART=39494
http://www.delmkd.cec.eu.int/en/whatsnew/index.htm#

So perhaps someone has a better answer that could be send to Nikola.

Have a nice day!

On Thursday 15 January 2004 11:26, Nikola Vanevski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Nikola Vanevski, programmer at SPD Computing Ltd. from
> Macedonia. I am writing to inform you of an incorrect referral to the
> name of my country on your web site (the exact link I encountered is
> http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=unstable/3.1.94/SuSE/ix86/ ).
>
> In the text which identifies the location of the connected user ("You're
> apparently located in ...." text) you incorrectly refer to Macedonia as
> "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia". The correct, constitutional
> name of my country is Republic of Macedonia (i.e.we are not "Former").
> For an example of how much this can be insulting for a Macedonian
> citizen, try thinking of USA referred to as "The Former UK Colony of
> America". With this I do not want to insult anybody, just to provide an
> example of how such referral can influence the national feelings of a
> Macedonian citizen. I would appreciate if you changed your database so
> that it contains the correct name - Republic of Macedonia - and thank
> you in advance. I apologize for not pointing this out earlier, but this
> is the first time I have seen it on your site (I usually do not download
> directly from KDE servers).
(...)