List:       kde-www
Subject:    apps.kde.org status update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-10 14:56:42

Hi,

I would like to thank everyone who has volunteered to help out with
apps.kde.org, it's very much appreciated.

This mail is a heads up about the current situation and what options we are
considering.

- ---

We are looking at two options:
1) To create an apps.kde.org as part of the freshmeat network. Dirk Mueller is
in contact with Scoop from freshmeat to see what the possibilities are in
this regard. The discussion has been fruitful so far but there are still a
few issues that we are concerned about.

On the positive side: Ready to use software, existing infrastructure,
experienced administrators

On the negative side: Less control from our side, might be subject to targeted
ads (Ximian did that before on google), who owns the information when
freshmeat goes bankrupt?

2) To roll our own apps.kde.org. Many of you stated that you were working on a
possible apps.kde.org site. We think that www.kde-apps.org by
Frank Karlitschek is the most promising effort in this regard. Frank is known
from KDE-Look.org. A lot of issues that will play for apps.kde.org such as
hosting, bandwidth,maintenance and sponsors have without doubt already been
solved for kde-look.org so we would like to build on that success.

On the positive side: This would put the KDE community firmly in control over
the application database.

On the negative side: This actually requires work on an ongoing bases. We have
a saying in our house "A puppy is not just for Christmas", the puppy becomes
a grown dog and will need to be walked 3 times a day for the rest of his life
Maintaining a large site is a full time job that requires active
participation from volunteers. Not only this christmas, but also the rest of
the year.

- ---

Whatever scenario gets chosen, we will need several people to maintain the
actual contents.

- ---

In related news :-)

kontact.kde.org is looking for a webmaster/webmistress For details please
contact Daniel Molkentin <molkentin@kde.org>

events.kde.org needs a webmaster/webmistress and needs to be ported to a
proper database, for details please contact me,
Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org>

- ---

Cheers,
Waldo