List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: My God, what's happened?
From:       Mat Colton <mat.colton () web-xs ! de>
Date:       2003-03-07 13:48:58

Hi,
> On Friday 07 March 2003 08:02, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > Nigel Weeks <nigel@e-easy.com.au> wrote:
> > > The site has become huge!
> >
> > Too many people are reporting this, in my opinion.  We really need to
> > find a solution for those IE users.
>
> Jep, IE is so utterly broken, that we have to think about browser
> detection? ;)

Umm, broken? The fonts are set to the default size. Ppl aren't used to
that anymore, heh.
Ok, back to work: Use .8em as the #header, navigation and footer font-size and
it will work. For IE font-size: small; is the same as the default size.

> > It might be nice to a contest for improving the default style sheet
> > along with the logo contest...

Which might result in a whole new design, which rises the question why we are
officially offering the visitor the not official look. :P
This is the new look now, so fix the bugs and live with it IMHO.

> There _are_ different stylesheets already. It is only a matter of finally
> reaching the trolltech admins and get the cookies working. (Thanks Olaf for
> doing the work on this).
>
> I will have to test with IE myself to see the problems. Otherwise I can not
> form a real opinion. This will not happen until after CeBIT :(

The fonts are fine IMHO. Checked it with IE 5 on Win2000 (all SP installed
except IE 6 update). Also checked it with IE 6 on WinXP, all SP installed.

If you decide to make them smaller, please don't forget to start off with
font-size: 100% in the body tag and then set the the fontsize in em in
whatever tag, class you wish. Otherwise some IE 5 users will not be able to
read the text at all due to a bug in IE 5.
--
Bye,
Mat