List:       kde-women
Subject:    [Kde-women]Translations
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () rt ! e-technik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-08-18 10:56:51

Hi Laura,

On Friday 17 August 2001 17:19, Laura Bowser wrote:
> I'm fairly familiar with php, and I wouldn't mind working with other
> kde-women to set something like this up.  As of now, I've got no clue how
> to do it, but I'm hoping someone else has some ideas. :)

Wow, that are good news :-))

For the language problem I see the following solutions (but maybe it's not
all):

- cookies for session management,
  fallback method for disabled are get/put parameters
  (where you get these ugly URLs...)
  for each file there is then a global language variable and you can have
  if/then/else statements to get the right file for each language. Then you
  can also devide the content into several files.
  another thing to check is that the php "include()" method can import
  different languages, but I don't know how it decides which language to
  include. The file then need to have language extensions like
  "content.html.de" for geman

- only get or put parameters
  rest is like above

- different directories
  then people simply get a different URL, like with kde.org

The problems I see with the last possibility is the risk of diverging
versions. And also possible errors in the "meta-structure" (php-scipts, urls,
...) because they have to be copied for each language and if you want to
change something later, you have to change it for each language.

With session management and global variables there is the possibility to
translate page after page. You can always have the english version as
fallback, but continue with the other language since it it stored in the
session management.

But I also have to agree that cookies are eval. Although it is much better
now since cookies are managable in konqueror.

Greetings,
eva