List:       kde-women
Subject:    [Kde-women]tips section
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () rt ! e-technik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-03-16 9:41:47

Hi Tink and kdewomen,

> |I am only afraid, that it overlaps a lot with the things we are doing and
> |what we want to do at kdewomen,  like the tips&tricks, the howto's, the
> |tutorials, the reviews. So I hope we will find a good coexistance and
> | maybe we can work together in some points, like the tips list.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way, I was hoping the kde-women would like to
> contribute something and that maybe you would like to see your tip
> and tricks and tutorial printed.

Well, we have a very simple problem so far. That is the number of women that
are actively contributing. We are not many at the moment, so I think we still
need some time to grow - we still need a lot of hands building up the
project.
Actually I really was impressed by the reactions on the magazine proposal. So
many people will get it running very fast. Don't misunderstand me - I think
it is a great thing. Only the timing is a bit bad for us. We haven't settled
yet. Please tell me, if I am too pessimistic... ;-)

When reading your last mail and this mail I got the feeling, that I
misunderstood you a bit. Are you saying, that there could be "KDE-Women
section" in the magazine? Well, sounds interesting...

> |So far men are very afraid of contributing something to kdewomen, although
> |the tips and the links sections is not "closed" at all.
>
> Is there a specific reason why you want men to contribute to
> kde-women? Isn't kde-women ment to be a 'safe' place for women to
> talk about kde without being snowed under by male developers? I know
> a lot of women will be afraid to ask questions because men might find
> them dumb questions.

Well, the tips and the links section is just an anonymous knowledge base and
as bigger as it is, the more it helps all people including women. So, if I
receive an email containing tips, I simply put them (after verifying) on the
list. So here is the women's part to verify and to make it accessible (a
search machine may be implemented as well). But I don't see a problem in
getting knowledge from *everyone* including men. The tips section can only be
good, if it gets a lot of input, which isn't there at the moment (or very
rare).

Maybe anyone wants to take over the management of the Tips section? So far I
did nearly everything except the tutorials and I simply don't have the time.
So: Volunteers are welcome :-)

The idea of contributing tips to the magazine becomes more and more
interesting, the more I think about it ;-)

Greetings from a brooding
eva
;-)