List:       kde-women
Subject:    Re: [Kde-women]Re: Kde-women digest, Vol 1 #27 - 1 msg
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () rt ! e-technik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-03-07 10:15:13

Hi Aly, hi kdewomen,

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 02:45, alyssamcloney wrote:
> Thanks Eva, (btw how is Denmark?)

well, Holland ;-) was really good. We had a lot of fun together. Agnes, Lars,
Heike, Zander and I where there. Annma couldn't come :-(( but hopefully I'll
meet here at the CeBIT first time, which is really great.
I hope that we will have some pictures on our pages soon.

> > of a talk of Rik van Rijl from the last Linuxtag in Germany. He codes the
> > memory stuff.
>
> I would appreciate it very much thanks :-)

Sorry, I promised too much... I had a look on the CD from linuxtag, but there
is no material from Rik :-((

> I think the Pentium compile should work for the AMD as well given their
> arch is still based on same concept

yes, the pentium-optimized kernel works for AMD as well.

> > Actually there are much better CPU architectures than the pentium one ;-)
>
> Please recommend :-)

All risk processors are much better and most of them (if not all) are 64bit.
The preformance test (specs) say, that alpha is much better than others.
There are several computing clusters, that use alphas. My boyfriend has two
alpha computers, but he has some trouble compiling things due to bad code and
the 64bit architecture. Yes - QT and KDE have their problems as well ;-)

We have Ultra Sparc here at work, but they are pretty slow, but very stable.
I don't know about the new Ultra Sparc III, but I heard, that it still is
slower than an alpha. Anyway, it is far too expensive to have it at home.

So the good thing about Pentiums and AMDs is, that they are cheap (well,
cheaper than others) and that they are the main linux platform, that nearly
every developer works on. So with linux you can expect less problems there.
Unfortunately some network implementations such as NFS and automount are not
very good, which was a great surprise after working with Solaris before :-(

> I really appreciate your reply.  So what is the latest app you are working
> on (if you don't mind)?

At the moment I am mainly working on a project I just started. It is called
QXmlConfig and is for writing Configuration Files in XML format. The idea is
to have XML-Templates that give the configuration dialog and I decided to
have the ui-Format of the QT Designer for the templates. So you can make the
templates graphically with the designer.
I need this for a command line app (an algorithm) at work, that I want to
give a GUI to. Or better - a GUI that can configure, start the app and read
the log files. And since I have several config files, I'd thought I better
write a flexible QT app for all kinds of programs instead of  writing 4
specialized tools (I am kind of lazy...)

Are you coding at the moment?

Greetings,
eva