List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Install presence
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-21 20:57:55

On Sunday June 20 2021 20:53:55 Jeremy Whiting wrote:

Hi again,

> All of the above is based on the idea that yes, we want KDE applications to
> work well on MacOS. I'm not sure if that's the consensus or not.

I just remembered an episode a few years back. I was discussing a Mac tweak of on of \
the plasma components on the plasma-devel ML (could have been DrKonqi, could have \
been the platform plugin, or ) and one of the key plasma devs said something \
tell-tale like "I think I'm going to break that, just because I can". I presume it's \
still easy to elicit a knee-jerk reaction there by invoking the idea of supporting a \
relevant set of KCMs on other platforms...

On Monday June 21 2021 17:18:23 Ian Wadham wrote:

> Getting some KDE apps to run and look the same as on a Plasma desktop is not so \
> easy.

There is somewhat of a consensus that "this should not be" and while I put that under \
"more catholic than the pope" I don't entirely disagree. Bringing the (almost) entire \
Plasma desktop to Mac could be justified if Qt5 would be more trivial to build \
targeting X11, so users who want could have a best of both world set-up where the \
Cocoa/Aqua and Plasma desktops could be swapped at the touch of a shortcut. But for \
the native Cocoa mode there's no point in doing this, and a hypothetical KDE \
installer for Mac (like exists or used to exist for MS Win) should indeed not attempt \
to set up things so applications follow the default breezy look and feel.

That said, users should be the ones deciding, ultimately, and if they want \
cross-platform applications to look the same everywhere that should not be thwarted, \
I for one use the same (Mac-inspired) QtCurve theme and colour palette on Mac and \
Linux, and am quite happy with how it allows me to optimise screen real estate (and \
spare my eyes). And here's the thing: Qt and esp. KDE applications don't look good \
when you use the standard Mac widget style and standard fonts. You can see very \
clearly that they're rendered using an automated layouting engine, and the result \
looks cheap, thrown together and possibly done with the visuo-motor impaired in mind \
(because there's way too much waste of space, and too little use of smaller font \
sizes). Improving this is possible, but ... it requires a platform theme plugin.

R.