List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Basic craft Mac questions
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2020-01-04 9:00:43

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 9:37 PM Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> Ok, some first answers to myself:
>
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 11:20:14 +0100
> Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> wrote:
> > Two basic questions on Mac:
> > 1) What is the minimum version of MacOS that can reasonably be
> > expected to work for using craft / binary-factory compiled packages?
>
> The compiled packages seem to require MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) or higher.
> Which is not really ideal, as the older versions still have a
> significant market share.
>
> I guess that won't be easy to fix, but let me just say that, going
> forward, I hope the MacOS builder will not be upgraded until that
> becomes absolutely necessary.

Given the issues people have had with the latest version of MacOS
(Catalina) I don't intend on updating it anytime soon.
We were forced to upgrade if memory serves by requirements in Qt
itself, so that is a limiting factor to a certain extent.

I'm a bit surprised that we're not able to target older versions of
MacOS though even though we're running on a newer version ourselves
(all our Windows builds are done on Win 10 machines, yet the final
product can be run fine on Windows 7)

> > 2) Is there any chance of getting signed installers on Mac? That seems
> > to be the only thing missing from a really smooth installation
> > experience.
>
> I see that craft already has code for signing, but apparently it is not
> (currently) used on the binary-factory. Could that be changed?

Doesn't this require an Apple Developer ID?

Note that even signing doesn't help on Catalina, as I believe that
started requiring all applications to be notarised by Apple.

> Regards
> Thomas

Regards,
Ben