List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: kioslave hardcoded path
From:       Kevin Funk <kfunk () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-12-27 19:29:27

On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 20:15:54 CET Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 00:30:32 CET Jean-Baptiste Mardelle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are working on a Kdenlive Windows version, compiled with mxe. We got it
> > mostly working, but have a problem with the kioslaves.
> >
> > Simply opening a filedialog (KFileDialog), we get an error related to
> > kioslaves, and no files/directories are displayed. The error message
> > (translated approximately from french) :
> >
> > Cannot start process, klauncher could not load: "/path/to/kioslave"

Just noticed: The way you're starting the KIO slaves is the one going through
DBus+klauncher. If that's actually intended, then you might need to patch
stuff in kinit.git -- so far everyone avoid DBus+klauncher on Windows for good
reasons.

Let me elaborate, there are two ways to start kio slaves:
a) KIO asks klauncher via DBus to launch KIO processes
b) KIO directly forks off KIO processes

(a) is chosen if an available DBus session is detected, (b) is the fallback.

To *always* use (b), you have two options:
- Make sure there's no DBus session (or dbus-daemon.exe available to start
one)
- Set the KDE_FORK_SLAVES env var [1], this is what we do in KDevelop:
  https://cgit.kde.org/kdevelop.git/commit/?
id=4a2f1c2457e0104eb9a6135649d3ce4dda312904

(b) is the tested variant, which works fine for Kate/KDevelop/others...

Hope that helps,
Kevin

[1] https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/
Environment_Variables#KDE_FORK_SLAVES