2010/11/7 Francis Corvin : > At 2010-11-06 17:00, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote: > >>Right now one central problem with having a time gap between the compilers is >>that it will cause serious confusion. Suppose MSVC is at 4.5.3, >>while MinGW is >>still at 4.4.4. Right now, users will >>1. select a mirror >>2. select a compiler (let's suppose user choses MinGW, here) >>3. select a release (obviously user selects the latest one, i.e. 4.5.3) >>4. select packages (but our example user will not see *any* packages, since >>there are no MinGW 4.5.3 packages) >> >>What I am suggesting is that users will >>3. select a release _type_ (stable / unstable / nightly) >>4. MinGW users will be able to select 4.4.4 packages, MSVC users will see >>4.5.3 packages. > > To me the whole idea that users should have to select a compiler is > completely ludicrous. How many decent windows installers ask you that > sort of question? None. Who cares? No-one, users just want the bloody > app. Which user can say what compiler was used for this or that > application outside the KDE world? Developer might care, but let's > not kid ourselves that it is for any other reason than their own preferences. > > The underlying issue is whether KDE for Windows wants to include Joe > Bloggs as a user, or keep itself narrowly focused on the developer > community to the exclusion of anyone else. Perhaps it is worth > repeating again who Windows KDE is aimed at. > > That is the first issue. The second issue is that having many > compilers available is a waste of resources. I cannot compile > Digikam, under any compiler. What use is it to me to have myriad > versions of MinGW, MSVC, TDM-GCC and whatnot if none of them work? > I'd rather have one, but one that works. If everyone was forced to > use the same, all the issues would very quickly be ironed out and we > could spend time focusing on improving applications rather than > fiddling with an over-engineered release system. This is true, but not completly. I use more than one KDE4 install on my computer, one dedicated to TDM-GCC, another one to MSVC. compilers are installed outside of KDE4 install path, typically on C:/PROGRAM FILES. KDE4 installs are done in D:/. To compile digiKam with a specific compiler, i just start a console with an ubut script which setup path properly, and that all. all work fine... Gilles Caulier > > 2c from a newbie, so probably not even worth the paper it's written on. > > Francis > > > > _______________________________________________ > Kde-windows mailing list > Kde-windows@kde.org > https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-windows > _______________________________________________ Kde-windows mailing list Kde-windows@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-windows