List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Rant: So you want help?
From:       "Thomas Friedrichsmeier" <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2010-11-06 12:40:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 06 November 2010, Casper van Donderen wrote:
> Everybody should take his compiler of choice

Yes, and that's exactly the philosophy I'm trying to enable with respect to
creating releases. Everybody take the compiler they care about, and only that
one, instead of making releases artificially cumbersome by requiring to produce
a complete set binaries for the complete set of compilers.

> and maybe make the default
> the platform default:

To me, *personally*, GCC 32bit is the one hard requirement in the compiler
department, because an external dependency of my application supports only
MinGW on windows. And so that's why I'm willing to help with MinGW, and that's
why I *personally* don't care about any other compiler.

But you're right in that it's a dead-end to try to discuss one compiler
against another, and I see we may be getting hung up on the side issue of
which should be the default.

So I'll modify my proposal for yet another short-term strategy (see also [1])
to allow breaking up the release process into smaller portions:
- Multi-compiler support will remain in the next version of the installer, but
instead of working on point releases, the default choice of releases will be
trimmed down to:
 * stable-latest
 * unstable-latest
 * nightly-latest
- These directories will differ from the current layout in that stable-latest
may contain different versions of packages for different compilers. Perhaps at
times MinGW will be a couple versions ahead, and perhaps sometimes MSVC will
be some versions ahead. So once again, releases for the different compilers can
be made independently of each other.
- As long as there are no binary compatibility breakages (as coming up with
KDE 4.6, AFAIK), this concept will even allow to create releases in a more
incremental fashion, e.g. uploading an updated kdelibs, but leaving kdegames
at its old version until a volunteer picks up that one.
- Point releases will merely be archive snapshots, and will be completely
hidden from the user (and perhaps even from the mirrors). Joe User only cares
about the latest available stable/unstable/nightly releases, anyway.

I think it's still a good idea to break up the installer into one incarnation
for each compiler, and to decide on a default. But I'll leave that for another
day.

Regards
Thomas

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=128689460909832&w=2