List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Rant: So you want help?
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-11-06 9:26:28

On 06.11.10 09:26:32, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > There is a concept that the last recent installer is always named
> > kdewin-installer-latest.exe. The url of this installer is spread all
> > around the world, has been linked into many websites and is downloaded
> > up to 100000 times a month.  When this option is removed from the
> > installer and for each compiler a different url is provided, who is
> > going to talk with all those website maintainers to add additionals link
> > in case more than one compiler is supported.
>
> Simple suggestion: kdewin-installer-latest.exe will point to the MinGW 32bit
> incarnation.
>
> So we want to support compiler diversity, but there's no reason why we
> shouldn't encourage a compiler default for end users. MinGW 32bit looks like
> the obvious choice to me, because
> - 32bit will work for all users
> - GCC is the predominant compiler in the KDE world, so creating a MinGW based
> release will typically be least trouble, compared to any other compiler.

I'm not sure thats a wise choice. For me as someone who was willing to
bring KDevelop to windows and work on that, mingw was always too slow to
be usable. It was a magnitude slower than msvc2008 (even the first 4.x
releases). So for end-users the compiler doesn't matter, but for people
who'd like to use pre-built packages of the development platform (which
I think many app-devs would want to use as a start to port their app)
the compiler may play quite a bigger role. Having to spend a complete
day just for getting my app built with mingw is not going to attract me
to help with the kde/windows effort.

Now that being said, I'm using past tense in the above paragraph for a
reason. I haven't done any kde/windows stuff for about a year so my
experiences may not be up-to-date. If there's a recent mingw/gcc release
for windows that has cut down the compile/link time to a reasonable
level (similar to msvc2008 or 2009) then just ignore me :)

Andreas

--
You recoil from the crude; you tend naturally toward the exquisite.