List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Rant: So you want help?
From:       "Thomas Friedrichsmeier" <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2010-11-05 15:27:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Friday 05 November 2010, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Also we invested quite some time into this, which would be totally
> useless if we chose to stay with one compiler.

just for clarification (once again):
I do not advocate changing anything about compiler support in emerge. I can
absolutely see the merit of having several compilers, there.
I do advocate changing something about the end-user side of things, i.e. the
KDE windows installer. And of course about the barriers towards creating a
release.

> The compiler discussion is old already, and it won't be solved any time
> soon. So let's try to focus on the other problems first.

Yeah, I know, I'm late to the party. But BTW, if I'm not mistaken this is
another example of a discussion that should have been had on the list, instead
of behind the scenes.

Anyway, so what about the more moderate variant of my suggestion: Chop the
installer (and release) into different *independent* incarnations, one for each
compiler. At least it would make it easier to break up the monumental task of
creating a release into something more managable.

Regards
Thomas