List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Rant: So you want help?
From:       Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-05 13:44:23

2010/11/5 Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 04 November 2010, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>> KDE on Windows building/packaging works this way:
>
> ok, let's focus on creating a 4.5.x release. So far, it seems to me the
> greatest obstacles are:
>
> 1) Only few people really know what precisely needs to be done to create a
> release. Your sketch certainly helps understanding some of the major steps.
> But still, I for one simply wouldn't know where to start. So I'm hoping for
> very specifc instructions. Naturally, there will be problems of all sorts on
> the way, and you can hardly anticipate and document all of that. But in an
> ideal world, what would be the sequence of commands needed to create a
> release?
>
> 2) Creating a release is a daunting task, and it's hard to split up into more
> managable portions. Let's break this one up some more, into mostly independent
> problems:
>
> 2a) Packaging dependencies: Alright, I can see the pain involved. But are
> missing dependencies really still an issue for a 4.5.x release? If so, do you
> have a list (complete or not) of which ones in particular? I guess it should
> be possible to split up at least this point among several people, easily.

From digiKam viewpoint, the next 2.0.0 release will require OpenCV
library for face detection stuff.

On my Win7, it compile fine with TDM-GCC and MSVC2008. It's a libary
managed by Cmake. So it's easy to include as windows installer package

> 2b) I keep stumbling across the "multitude of compilers" issue. If ressources
> are this limited, then trying to package for several compilers at once looks
> totally counter-productive to me at this point of time. I've stated before
> that I'm all for dropping everything except MinGW4-32bit from the installer,
> but I guess this idea won't be accepted (I'd still appreciate any direct
> feedback, though).

From a developer viewpoint, to have at least Mingw4-32 + MSVC is very
instructive. Some warnings/errors can be see with GCC, some others
with M$ compiler. both are complementary.

I never run digiKam & co using MSVC bin, for a simple reason : it
crash at start up due a binary uncompatibility between KDE4 packages
compiled with MSVC 2006 and digiKam compiled with MSVC2008

I always use GCC. All compile and run fine.

From an user viewpoint it's a very confuse situation. Why 2 compiler
packages version exist... Only one is enough.

Gilles Caulier