List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Distributing (third party) KDE apps as a bundle
From:       "Thomas Friedrichsmeier" <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2010-05-27 20:10:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Hi,

I have previously written about problems of deploying third party KDE apps on
windows. In the RKWard project, we've recently started using a new approach on
binary distributions, and we are quite happy with that so far. Our situation
may be special to some degree in that RKWard is not (yet) in the kdewin-
installer, we can only offer MinGW-binaries, and we also depend on an
installation of R. This means that until recently, installing RKWard was a
rather cumbersome procedure.

What we do now is this: We simply install KDE (kdebase-apps; using the regular
installer), R, and RKWard in a common root on the development system. We add
an .lnk-file to the rkward binary. Then just zip it all up into a self-
extracting archive with 7zip. This brings the installation instructions down
to:

1) Install to a directory of your choice
2) Copy the RKWard.lnk to your deskop

The download size is ~130MB, all inclusive, which is not exactly small, but
quite acceptable. Of that ~100MB is kdebase-apps and dependencies.

Also, this is not only simple to install, but also easy to package. The most
difficult part is gathering the sources for KDE for GPL version 2-compliance
(§3), but for that we have a simple script to download the relevant source
packages from winkde.org. I'm attaching that for reference, in case it is of
interest.

I'm not sure whether anything can be learnt from this for distributing
"official" KDE apps. But for third parties like us this is probably the easiest
way to deploy a KDE app on windows.

Regards
Thomas

["fetch_kde_sources.sh" (application/x-shellscript)]

#!/bin/bash
cd $0
BASEDIR=`pwd`

MANIFESTDIR=${BASEDIR}/../RKWard/KDE/manifest/
REPOSITORY="http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/repository-4.4/"
SUBDIRS="win32libs kde kdesupport aspell"
SUFFIXES=".tar.bz2 .zip"

FILES=`find ${MANIFESTDIR} -name '*bin.ver' -printf '%f\n' | sed -e "s/bin\.ver/src/"`
FILES="${FILES} `find ${MANIFESTDIR} -name '*bin.ver' -printf '%f\n' | sed -e "s/bin\.ver/lib/"`"

cd ${BASEDIR}/KDE

for FILE in ${FILES}
do
    FOUND="0"

    for DIR in ${SUBDIRS}
    do
	for SUFFIX in ${SUFFIXES}
	do
	    wget -r ${REPOSITORY}/${DIR}/${FILE}${SUFFIX}
	    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
		FOUND="1"
		break;
	    fi