List:       kde-utils-devel
Subject:    Re: kwalletmanager ui refactor
From:       Till Schäfer <till2.schaefer () tu-dortmund ! de>
Date:       2013-02-04 11:12:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Hi,
first of all i am glad that someone is doing that job as i have subscribed to this \
mailing list because i had the same plan some month ago. The project never got very \
far, but here are a few ideas i had in mind and may improve the experience of the \
kwalletmanager. As you mentioned before the "way" to the password is very long \
because of several reasons. Some of them are mentioned in your mail, i will add a few \
more:

1. To open the wallet you need many clicks (as described in your mail). I added a \
shortcut on my system by using qdbus to directly open a wallet. Your solution makes \
this "click way" shorter. However it would be a nice feature to have a (global) \
shortcut to directly open a particular wallet in the kwalletmanager UI.

2. While typing a search phrase the tree elements are collapsed and need to be opened \
by hand. This leads to three more clicks:
- open the folder
- the category (passwords, pairs, binary data, ...)
- select the entry
I suggest to directly select the first item that matches the search phrase and open \
all folders which contain matching entries.

3. The search field does not have the focus when opening a wallet. You need to click \
in the field to start typing. It may be a good thing to have the focus directly in \
the search field, so that you can start typing immediately.

Many greetings
Till Schäfer

Am 03.02.2013 14:50, schrieb Valentin Rusu:
> Hello,
>
> Lots of us are frequently using kwalletmanager to get/store the secrets for
> the ever extending sensitive information. We click it's icon to pop the main
> window, then double click the main wallet icon to pop another window, that
> will eventually go to the second display (that's my case). Perhaps you put
> aside a quick thought that this should be changed, but return to the task
> under hand. And then forget about this until you'll next need to use
> kwalletmanager. :-)
>
> During last days I finally sat down and did a ui-refactor and now
> kwalletmanager handles all the wallets inside a single, KPageWidget based
> design. A screen capture is far better than a hundred words so here it is:
> http://imgur.com/MD3GDxO
>
> As you may see, the ancien kwalleteditor window moved inside a
> KPageWidgetItem. All the legacy code was left untouched. Only slight
> adjustements were done, to allow ui objects reference changes. I tried to
> preserve as much code history as possible. This also prevents regressions.
>
> The sources layout was also slightly changed to be more KF5 compliant. There's
> now a src subdirectory that has a manager and a konfigurator subdirectory.
>
> All this refactoring was done in a dedicated branch named "ui-refactor" I just
> pushed to the main repository. The application is fully functional and you can
> just checkout that branch, compile and replace your current kwalletmanager ;-)
>
> Next things to be done are:
> - review these changes - here I need your precious feedback
> - implementing features you may suggest
> - update the handbook
> - merge the code to the main branch when decided
>
> Thanks,
>
> PS I'd like to say a big *thank you* to the *gammaray* team who did a really
> great tool that showed very handy when analysing existing ui layout.

["0xD84DED79.asc" (application/pgp-keys)]
["till2_schaefer.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]