List:       kde-utils-devel
Subject:    Re: Resurrecting KMilo?
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2008-08-20 14:04:12

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:05:15PM +0200, Aur?lien G?teau wrote:
> Not being able to use the volume keys from my laptop got me frustrated
> enough that I grabbed KMilo from tags/unmaintained/4 and did the
> necessary porting to get the keys working.
>
> For those who do not know, KMilo is responsible for handling so-called
> "multimedia keys" like volume, hibernate, backlight... It's implemented
> as a kded service and provides a plugin system to implement
> hardware-specific support.

There's no need for a separate application, kmix is best places to
handle volume keys.  Here's a patch which adds support for them to it.

http://www.kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/kubuntu_02_kmix_keyboard_shortcuts.diff

Supporting the various ways laptops present these keys to Linux really
isn't KDE's job to fix, it should be done lower down,
e.g. thinkpad-buttons and HAL.

Jonathan