List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Problems Compiling SRPMs
From:       "Akar th'  'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-28 21:54:00

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 05:23, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
blah blah which akar forgot to include

> >  #!/bin/sh
> >CFLAGS="${CFLAGS:--O3 -march=athlon}" ; export CFLAGS ;
> >CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS:--O3 -march=athlon}" ; export CXXFLAGS ;
> >FFLAGS="${FFLAGS:--O3 -march=athlon}" ; export FFLAGS ;

The above bit as a script should be run as a script before you just do a
normal compile/make/make install of a source tree.

when you build an srpm with:
rpm --rebuild --target="athlon-pc-linux-gnu" kdelibs.src.rpm
You should run the above script before this as well. If you do not set the
target value it will use your system hosttype which is 386, on a normal
compile like the top those flags will/should overide hosttype and if you can
see the words:  -O2 -march=athlon you know it is compiling as an athlon
binary. The same with the SRPM if you dont see that line then it aint
optimising it.
These things are dependent on the scripts inside the tar files though and
some were written before athlon was available and only allow iX86 numbers,
otherwise they get confused and the script crashes. Still you can get around
them by setting the target as i686-blah-blah (dep on your distro) for SRPMS
or setting the host to i686 in normal source compiles in the configure script
but if you export the above flags beforehand it should still compile as
athlon as you will see if you watch for the words.

Of course for SRPMS the RPMs you build will have athlon in the name so if
your HOSTTYPE=i386 then rpm will give a 'wrong architecture' error when
installing so you install with rpm --ignorearch and --ignoreos (if necessary)

Also with the SRPMS sometimes they have a dep that is on your system but not
as an rpm, you can use --nodeps sometimes when building them and it will at
least build the source so you can install it but it may not build srpm/rpm
like that.

Andrew
Damn if I knew it was THIS list I wouldn't have said to send it here, this
closes today. CCing to kde-linux.