List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: [SLE] XFree86 Problem - "A" solution
From:       "Akar th'  'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-24 13:55:31

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:55, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> Any insights/proper solutions will be most appreciated.

I do believe that is the first time that you mentioned that achieving
1600x1200 was only a problem with OpenGL.  :-)

I think you may find a rather microcosmic cause AND solution for the
problem. The thing is that calculating video memory is quite easy for a 2D
display:
You take the cubed value of X * Y pixels to the nth power of Z  and
multiple it by (dpi) squared / (sq rt of (-1). (Well actually its just
x*y*bpp/8 bytes) and you sometimes have to multiply this by 2 for double
buffering etc etc
With an OpenGL 3D display the actual resolution memory is insignificant
compared to the memory required for other things such as textures etc and
all the sorts of neat tricks that GL does. The very first thing I did with
your problem was calculate that their was sufficient memory (only a few
megs in 2D mode)

Now it doesn't actually matter I dont think if you dont even USE much of
the texture memory, I dont think it is dynamically allocated. When you
start a display in 3D mode at 1600x1200 the driver assumes that you are
about to play Quake and allocates accordingly. The driver sits there and
processes and comes up with: "Who is this guy kidding? We can't do
blood-curdling special effects and realistic dismemberment at 1600x1200x24
with only 32Meg of video mem". "Tell the bastard, NO WAY HOS'E and chuck a
segfault while you're at it"

In other words more memory (video mem that is) will almost certainly fix
your problem.

Andrew.