List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: [SLE] XFree86 Problem
From:       Renaud MICHEL <renaud.michel () student ! ulg ! ac ! be>
Date:       2001-08-22 20:47:46

Le Mercredi 22 Août 2001 03:24, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. a écrit :
> Thanks to all who have responded to my cries and pleas for help.
>
> I have succeeded in getting the board resolution to 1600x1200.  Please
> don't ask - it was fumbling and bumbling all of the way.  It would have
> been impossible without the generous help that was forthcoming.
>
> I've attached the XF86Config-4 file that works to this message.
>
> The problem is half solved.  Now I have to get the OpenGL drivers to
> work.  I downloaded the correct NVidia tar balls for SuSE 7.1 and installed
> them.  There were no error or warning messages and the boot process loaded
> the NVIDIA kernel module version 1.0-1251 (the correct one).  But, why must
> there  always be a but....'  when I add 'Load "gx"' and "nvidia" to the
> appropriate sections of the XF86Configure file once again XWindows bombs.
>
> I'm starting to be fearful for what little hair I have left, I'm afraid
> that I'm going to start tearing it out.  Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

So lets see if you did everything right, you must have downloaded and
installed two packages, one is NVIDIA_GLX...rpm (the specific one for suse
7.1) and the other is NVIDIA_kernel... for this one if you downloaded the rpm
one wich is precompiled it will only work with the precompiled suse kernel so
if you compiled a custom version of the kernel (or a newer one) you have to
download the source tar.gz file and compile it. Now verify that the module is
loaded with /sbin/lsmod there must be a line with NVdriver.
Now with all that ok that should work (note that in my XF86Config-4 file I
have in the module section the line
load "dbe"
don't remember what it is for but perhaps it is important.

--
 LC> mon site vient de subir une mise à jour.
 ECT> Euh... l'adresse, SVP!?   :-)
 -+- LC in Guide du Généalogiste Ereinté - Il ne s'en n'est pas remis -+-

Renaud MICHEL