List:       kde-user
Subject:    Double-sized pixels in fonts in kde, kmail and konqueror
From:       Enrique Perez-Terron <enrio () online ! no>
Date:       2001-08-17 19:41:34

Since I upgraded XFree86 to version XFree86-4.0.3-5 (redhat rpm)
some fonts have become just unreadable.

This seems to affect only kde stuff, like:

The window title(all windows)
The text below icons on the desktop
certain web pages, e few mails (in kmail),
The text in this KMail window, as well as the contents of the To: and Subject
fields.

What really happens seems to be that the fonts are laid out on a pixel matrix
which is double as coarse as the underlying X server .

I have enclosed a png containing a small section of a screen dump.
I made it by first using xmag to capture the upper left corner of the
Konqueror window, and magnify its pixels. Then I used Ksnapshot to save the
xmag window to a file. The resulting file contains the entire window title
bar of the xmag window, its menu bar, then the beginning of the title bar of
the Konqueror window, and also parts of the Konqueror menu.

The Konqueror is pointed at the page "KDE Mailing lists", but only "KD"
appears within the xmag window.

You kan clearly see that the dents and angles of the letter shape have a unit
step twice as large as the corresponding irregularities in the menu fonts,
the K icon, etc.

You can also see that the text appears offset towards higher y coordinates
(origo in upper left), so much that one third of the letter shapes are
invisible outside (below) the title bar.  This latter effect does not apply
to the Kmail text, and also seems to disappear if I choose a different
decoration. It applies to decoration KDE and KDE 2, but not to B II nor to
KDE 1.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Any suggestions are wellcome.

Yours Enrique Perez-Terron