List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Tell me about kdevelop KBASIC
From:       "Akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-17 11:25:42

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:26, Renaud MICHEL wrote:

> There is such a RAD being developped for KDE, have a look at
> http://www.kbasic.org

I went and had a look at this site and was stunned. Their justification for
needing kbasic was that while acknowledging that basic teaches bad
programming (that is hard to unlearn) that was only an issue in the
70s,80s,90s but that it is OK to write attrocious code now because CPUs are
faster and have more memory so we can throw diligence care and good
programming out the window!!!
This is for real, and there reasons for why not other languages is that they
are not BASIC? God help us all.

KDE and Koffice already has ecmascript and koscript not to mention dcop for
interprocess communication bindings for perl and python etc. These already
have support in Gideon/Kdevelop for those wanting simple interpreter
scripting.

KBasic was the biggest self-indulgence I have seen in the kde community yet,
The most impressive part of it is its web site.  It carries all the marks of
vapourware consisting of 95% old gpl code and 5% alpha-alpha state what-if
code.

Andrew