List:       kde-user
Subject:    Which KDE lists?
From:       Paul Abrahams <abrahams () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 21:48:07

Andreas Pour wrote:

> PROPOSED SOLUTION:
>
> Right now we have kde and kde-user, which essentially do the same
> thing.

It's worth quoting the descriptions (from the KDE website):

kde - for general discussion
kde-user - users help each other

As you say, there's not a lot of difference between the descriptions, let
alone the content.

  The proposal would be to combine kde and kde-user into just kde,
> which would be strictly limited to KDE questions (and offtopic posts, if
> at all related to KDE, would get directed to kde-system), and create a
> new list kde-system (or kde-newbie) which would basically encompass
> everything a desktop user needs to do.

I don't think kde-newbie would work very well.  Not that many people
would be motivated to answer questions there.   I'm for a unified list,
with off-topic posts labelled as such.  (I don't think you can,
realistically, get rid of them; no other list has succeeded at that.)  My
observation is that the world doesn't divide neatly into newbies and
experts.  An expert in one aspect of KDE may be a newbie in another.

I'm also a subscriber to the SuSE mailing list, which probably averages a
hundred posts a day and has had to face some similar issues.  There was a
split to send Microsoft-related posts to another list, and that seems to
have worked out pretty well.  There are a fair number of technical
off-topic posts, but they're generally well labelled and are often
surprisingly useful.  One gets to be pretty good with rapid scan and
deletion.

My own beef is with uninformative titles such as "Complaint", "Help", or
"I am stuck".  But because of the open nature of these lists, I don't see
any way to get rid of them.  My assumption is that any list like this one
will have a continual inflow of new subscribers who don't know the
conventions and aren't aware of earlier posts.

Paul