List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Printing in KDE2.0
From:       Klaus Wachtler <kde () wachtler ! de>
Date:       2001-07-31 19:24:53

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:10:32PM +0200, Carlo Maria Laorenza wrote:
> Hy all!!
> Is there anyone who can explain me an easy way to let me print from my
> linux box with KDE2.0 and SuSE7.1 via TCP-IP to another linux box with
> SuSE7.0 and a HP LaserJet 5L with Samba activated?
> Remember that I'm a newbie.................so I need a simple way!
>
> Bye
> Carlo

Of course it is OT, but in short before someone notices:

0) no samba is needed (it would be necessary if the server would be windows)
1) you have to be able to print from the server (yast as root if not
   already done).
   If you do not want to use the server's default print queue "lp"
   then write down which queue you use.
2) on the client side you have to use yast as root
   (something like: administration->configure network->network
   printer, your menu items may read different since the above is
   retranslated from german)
   There you have to fill in a name (choose something like
   "lp_on_myserver"), the network name of your server, and the name of
   the printer queue on the server (usually "lp" as suggested if you
   want to use the servers default printer; other possible names are
   the names in the first column of the server's /etc/printcap, or you
   take the name you wrote down in step 1).

This should be all.

If yast on the client side complains about something like "no access
to the server's lpd" or something like that then the client is
probably not allowed to access the print queues on the server.
Just ignore the warning and finish yast on the client side.
Then make sure that the client is listed in the servers file
/etc/hosts.lpd and restart the service lpd (not sure if this
necessary).

Now you should be able to print. If not then mail private; there seems
to be a strange mood out there today concerning OT or not.

HTH Klaus