List:       kde-user
Subject:    KDE and .xinitrc
From:       Paul Abrahams <abrahams () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-07-30 16:41:35

Wolfgang Mueller wrote:

> Note that you
> should not invoke xmodemap, nor edit .xinitr or any related file
> in your home directory, which are completely ignored by KDE 2.2.

Yes, it's literally true that KDE ignores ~/.xinitrc, but that fact can
be misleading.   The sequence of events on login is that ~/.xinitrc is
called, which in turn initiates a window manager (in our case, KDE via
startkde).  So KDE can override anything in ~/.xinitrc, but anything in
~/.xinitrc that isn't overridden becomes effective.   In particular, a
call to xmodmap within ~/.xinitrc becomes effective if and only if you
haven't specified a keyboard through the KDE Control Center.

I believe that ~/.profile is called before ~/.xinitrc as part of the
login process, but I'm not so sure about that.   For a nongraphical
login, ~/.profile is  definitely called first.

You can verify the fact that ~/.xinitrc calls startkde by looking at your
~/.xinitrc.   In mine, the call is indirect through the $WINDOWMANAGER
shell variable.

The file ~/.kderc, I discovered, isn't like ~/.xinitrc since it contains
startup parameters rather than a shell script.   I guess that means that
any code you want executed on KDE startup has to get put somehow into the
Autostart folder, though there may be some other possible location for
it.

Paul