List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Is there really nobody who knows that?
From:       Wolfgang Mueller <wm () ariannuccia ! de>
Date:       2001-07-30 12:18:00

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:48:43 -0400, Paul Abrahams wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:00:26 +1000, Akar 'th 'orrible wrote:
> > [...]
> > You will find all the different types of keyboards and their
> > mapping files in in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb most of which are
> > self documenting text files. [...]
>
> Here's an example of a chunk of a keyboard mapping (from
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/en_US):
>
> xkb_symbols "pc105" {
>     key <RALT> { [ Mode_switch ] };
>     key <RWIN> { [ Multi_key ] };
>
>     augment "us(pc105)"
>     include "iso9995-3(basic)"
>
>     modifier_map Mod3 { Mode_switch };
> };
>
> I wouldn't call that "self-documenting".

No, but suggestive enough to be understood. Studying the files
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us" and "de" a little bit, I
found out the following syntax (the example is taken from "de"):

key <AE03> { 	[ 3, section ],
		[ threesuperior, sterling ] };

This means that
- the plain key produces the digit "3",
- together with <Shift>, it becomes the German section mark (§)
- together with <RightMeta>, the exponent "3" (³), and
- together with <Shift> and <RightMeta> the pound sign (£).

Moreover, as shown by Paul's example quoted above, not all four
definitions need to be used.

That's all. I programmed one of those files according to this
sample, obtaining exactly what I had desired. Note that you
should not invoke xmodemap, nor edit .xinitr or any related file
in your home directory, which are completely ignored by KDE 2.2.

Bye, and thank you again for giving me the hints to look for
keymap files in the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols.

Wolfgang

P.S.: Please, stop quarreling!