List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KOffice Review: KWord
From:       Michael Leone <turgon () mike-leone ! com>
Date:       2001-07-07 15:04:37

On 07 Jul 2001 10:52:34 +0200, Johannes Liedtke wrote:

> > Have you tried importing WMF files in KIllustrator?
>
> a) That's almost like trying to open a wmfile with mspaint... ;)
> b) Who uses .wmf ?

Ever bought one of those "Many thousands of Clip Art Images" packages?
They come with .WMF files (as well as JPG and BMP and TIF).

> > These are just a few points, and I've only been using it a week.
>
> Would you go and buy a Mac and then start complaining that it's not exactly
> like your M$-PC? That it's not 100% compatible? That you cannot use all your
> windows software with it? - No, you wouldn't. Because you know Mac is not
> Windows...
>
> Remember: Linux is not Windows!

And nowhere did he say it was, nor wish that it was. He said that
KOffice could not do what have become standard office functions -
opening RTF files; doing mail merges; save as MS Word format - MS Word
format is *just about* the de facto standard today for document
interchange - yes, yes, I know about RTF and Acrobat and similar
formats. Even so, most office workers expect other office workers to
either HAVE MS Word, or - at the very least - to have a program that can
use to accurately open (or accurately display) MS Word files.

I leave out the .WMF and the handling of HTML files by a word processing
program because - in my experience as an MS Office support person - they
get used much more rarely than the others.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890

Pysche closed for renovations.