List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: GCC 3.0 Problems
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-26 19:30:42

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 20:04, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> I take it that kde 2.1.2. is not *supposed* to compile with GCC 3.0 yet?

Actually, probably not! At least with the current development version of KDE,
there are some problems. For example, arts will not work - it will segfault
upon start. I'm highly sure that this behavior is also there in KDE 2.1.2,
although I did not specifically test it. There are probably some other
problems as well, but just note that these are not causes by KDE, but by GCC!

For now, you're safer using a previous version of GCC. Even the folks on the
Linux kernel mailing list have said several times that it's currently a bad
(and probably risky) idea to use GCC 3.0 for compiling the Linux kernel.

This, as well as some GCC 3 tests I have done here, suggests to me that GCC
3.0 should probably not yet be used in a "production environment", i.e. in an
environment where you actually want to be sure that the software you have
will compile and work properly.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland - nils@nightcastleproductions.org
NightCastle Productions - Linux in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.nightcastleproductions.org
"Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance -
I hope you dance!"