List:       kde-user
Subject:    Summary: Font 20 (?) times too small in all KDE Applications incl
From:       Philippe.Aigrain () cec ! eu ! int
Date:       2001-05-30 11:17:06

Here is a summary of what was the source of the problem, and the easiest way
to solve it:
- The new versions of chip set drivers included in XFree86 4.0.x use the DDC
probing to get automatically information about the monitor size (in mm). For
some reason, the driver of the Neomagic 2200 (256AV) obtains a wrong
dimension (2.5 meters x 2.5 meters!) either because the chip sends wrong
information, or because the driver mistakes the virtual monitor size with
the real monitor size.
- You can not override the size by setting directly the DPI (no longer
support in 4.0.x)
- But you can override the DDC probe by including:
DisplaySize 280 210 <replace by relevant values for your monitor>
in the Monitor section of the XF86Config file.

This is strictly a XFree86 bug, it shows up in KDE only because KDE uses
correctly the DPI information to draw fonts. I am reporting it to
xfree86.org

Philippe Aigrain
Head of Sector "Software Technologies"
European Commission DG INFSO/E2 Office N105 3/54
Philippe.Aigrain@cec.eu.int
Postal address: rue de la Loi 200, B-1049 Brussels, Belgium
Office address: avenue des Nerviens 105, B-1040 Brussels
Secretary: Tania Devroede Phone: +32.2.295.0411 Tania.Devroede@cec.eu.int
Phone (direct): +32.2.296.0365
Fax: +32.2.296.7018
http://www.cordis.lu/ist/ka4/tesss/