List:       kde-user
Subject:    Kicker problem
From:       Clayton Cornell <c.cornell () chello ! nl>
Date:       2001-05-26 12:45:00

I have been chasing an interesting problem with Kicker... maybe someone here
has a suggestion.

This is the conversation so far on the SuSE list:
------------------------------------
> > I was playing around with the applets you can load in Kicker (the KDE
> > task bar), and encountered an odd problem.
> >
> > One of the apps I can load is XMMS (X Multimedia System - a media
> > player). Nice, but not necessary so I tried to remove it.  Problem is,
> > when I right click on it and say Remove, it doesn't go away.  Instead,
> > the System Tray disappears.
> >
> > I can kill Kicker, and restart it, but the System Tray does not reload.
> > XMMS is still hanging around.  If I logout/login the System Tray
> > reappears, and XMMS is still there.  XMMS is not checked in the list of
> > active applets in the config menu either.  I can't find any reference to
> > XMMS in kickerrc or anything it refereces either.
> >
> > Am I looking in the wrong spot to try and remove this persistant applet?
> > (All other applets behave normally if I add or delete them using the
> > right click menus)
> >
> > Clayton
>
> I didn't even know it existed, in fact I was even looking out for such a
> thing. I downloaded, installed and started it and I had indeed the same
> thing.
> A `ps aux` gave me the following
> appletproxy --configfile xmmskde_1uvuxboktcxrxsoh7hl_rc --callbackid
> ExternalAppletContainer_135620016 xmms-kde.desktop
> I just killed its pid and the thing disappeared. I don't know if this ugly
> solution helps for when you login again.

Hmmmm not in the ps output at all.  If I start XMMS by clicking on the XMMS
applet in the Task Bar, it shows up in ps -e and ps aux.  I can kill the
process and the application closes, but the applet stays there.

I can start a second XMMS as a Kicker applet and it behaves normally.  The
appletproxy process shows up exactly like above.  I can exit it by right
clicking and selecting Remove (or by killing the process).  The original XMMS
still hangs around and refuses to leave.

I have tried a logout/login, full reboot (on the off chance this would help)
and searched for a config file for Kicker.  All I come up with is kickerrc
and it is clean - no references to XMMS.

I have searched at kde.org but came up with nothing.  So the problem is still
there, and no solution in sight.