List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE needs xfree 4?
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-05-14 0:57:08

On Sunday 13 May 2001 02:44 pm, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

| I was considering the download of kde 2.1.1 for Mandrake 7.2 and
| discovered that the rpms for xfree 4.0.3 are provided in the
| package. Does that mean that 2.1.1 does not run on xfree 3.3.6 any
| more?

2.1.1 runs fine on xfree-3.x. what does not work is things like font
anti-aliasing, which is an extension -- render -- that did not arrive
until xfree-4.02. hence, qt built with -xft and kde built against it
would at minimum require 4.02 to have anti-aliasing; maybe to run at
all. but if you want to build qt and kde-2.1.1 against xfree86-3.3.6,
they'll run, and perhaps the qt and kde built against 4.03 will run
as well, as seems to be the case on a notebook here (though it has
both 3.3.6 and 4.03 installed, even though it's running 3.3.6).

--
dep

there's more to history than what's in books;
that's why it took so long to happen.