List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Display Problem
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <trader2001 () bigpond ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-05-12 21:14:11

On Sunday 13 May 2001 02:25, Charles Frank Jr wrote:
| For what it's worth here's some info I collected when I upgraded my
| SharkMM external modem:
|
| Furthermore, many flash upgradable modems only have flash programs for
| Win95/NT. These modems cannot be upgraded
| under Linux.
|
|                Chips etc on the board
|
|                     Cirrus Logic CL-MD3450D-SC-B
|
|                     Cirrus Logic MD1724-11VC-D
|
|                     Datatronic VLM301-1??
|
|                     Omron G5V-1 (2 of them)
|
|                     AST (?) M628032-20E1
|
|                     Cirrus Logic CL-MD4450C-SC-A
|
|                     Abracon 23-040-20
|
|                     two empty places for additional chips, one of which
| might be a Cirrus Logic CL-MD1724D

I would just like to point out that the flash memory in modems is
semi-permanent, so even though their may not be a linux upgrader you can
still upgrade it under dos-windows and it will stay upgraded even for linux.
Further, a lot of flash upgraders are available as a small dos program and
the upgrade is usually 32k-256k max so the whole lot will fit on a dos boot
floppy even if you dont have a dual-boot windows system.

The same applies of course for motherboard bios upgrades. Remember allways to
make a dump of the current program so if the upgrade doesnt work you dont
have a dead modem/motherboard.

--
Regards,

Andrew