List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: RealPlayer problem
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 14:52:22

John Aldrich wrote:

> How do I configure RealPlayer to work with ARTSD?  I just installed the
> latest RealPlayer for linux and it says it "Cannot open the audio device.
> Another application may be using it." How do I fix that??? There's got to be
> a way roudn that.
> I'm using the RedHat 7.1 with KDE 2.1.1. This same system worked just fine in
> RedHat 6.2.... I upgraded because I wanted the new KDE (not to mention that
> there were other things I wanted.. <G>) Is there some way to get RealPlayer
> to work in KDE2.1.1? I thought maybe it was because I had XMMS running, but I
> shut that down too... I can't figure out why it's not working...

I haven't yet been able to totally fix this, but I have found the
problem.

Check the permissions for "/dev/dsp".  If it is: root:root 600, then
your
problem is probably with PAM.

I am not totally up to speed on PAM and have not yet figured out exactly
how it
works with KDE.

It was screwing up KPPP and I had to disconnect that from PAM.

I tried installing KDEBase 2.1.1 built from source and I have not yet
figured
out how to configure it with PAM and I had this problem with user
accounts (but
root works).  If you installed from source, this is the problem.  I
installed
the rpm for KDEBase and the problem went away.

You can open a Konsole, 'su' and change the owner of '/dev/dsp' and the
other
devices Andrew mentioned to the current user, or set then to root:root
666.

Try this and see if it works.

HOWEVER, the "console app" part of PAM might change them back when you
log out.

JRT