List:       kde-user
Subject:    sourcing .profile (ksh) on login through kdm/xdm
From:       "Jason Jesso" <jpjesso () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 17:38:46

I am running Linux-Mandrake 8.0 and can't seem to get my $HOME/.profile to
executed when I login through kdm.

I am using ksh.  When I open a terminal and su - "user" my .profile is
executed, but I would like it to be executed when I open an xterm, etc ...

I found the following statement is KDE's FAQ, but what do I put into the
.xsession to ensure that .profile is sourced???
-----
9.11. KDE (kdm) does not read my .bash_profile!

Well, xdm (and kdm) does not run a login shell, so .profile, .bash_profile,
etc. are not sourced. When the user logs in, xdm runs Xstartup as root and
then Xsession as user. So the normal practice is to add statements in
Xsession to source the user profile. Please edit your Xsession and .xsession
files.
------

Thanks
Jason