List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: AW: Hotmail from KMail
From:       "Tyler Nally" <tnally () iquest ! net>
Date:       2001-04-30 15:07:40

> > From: Tio Hiap Ho <deux@deux.dyndns.org>

> As has been said, you *cannot* access Hotmail from any normal (e.g. pop3)
> e-mail client since hotmail does not support the pop3 protocol for e-mail
> retreival. Therefore the only way to read is online via hotmail.com.

That is almost correct.  All of the authentication and subsequent e-mail
inbox indices at hotmail.com is built via dynamic html.

In Outlook Express, there's a ...

    http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

... that points to the place where Outlook Express looks towards first to
connect to the hotmail.com database and begin the process.

MS Outlook Express does have hotmail.com functionality built into it.
It sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't.  At least with MS Outlook
Express hotmail.com e-mail can be retreived locallally onto a home
computer.  It is *only* with Outlook Express that this can be done.
Not Eudora, not KMail, not Netscape Navigator, etc.

I personally suspect that Hotmail.com runs some proprietary version
of an IMAP server because it seems to allow for the downloading of
folders to the local machine like IMAP mail does.

I do know that hotmail.com, though owned by MS, runs QMail to do all
of it's mail delivery because the volume through MS Exchange is too
great to handle.  I think it's funny that hotmail.com has to rely on
*nix mechanisms to do their primary function.  If I'm not wrong about
this, I think that even Apache is their webserver as well... though
I'm not sure about it as I am about QMail.

> Yahoo, however offer the posibility to acccess messages both via the web
> and via pop3 so that you could use an e-mail client (such as Kmail or
> whatever) to access Yahoo mail messages.

That is correct.  The thing about yahoo.com e-mail is that you have to
navigate your way through the different helpdesk type menus and options
to find the box to check to declare that it's o.k. to receive advertising
e-mail from the yahoo.com guys and associated 3rd parties.  Once this
checkbox is selected and saved, then you can both send- and receive-
e-mail via yahoo.com through smtp.mail.yahoo.com and pop.mail.yahoo.com.

Tyler Nally
--
Tyler Nally           _             _ _
tnally@technally.com | |_ _ _  __ _| | |_  _