List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KPresenter - Remot Control
From:       Melchior FRANZ <a8603365 () unet ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-03-31 9:36:58

* Meinhard Ritscher -- Friday 30 March 2001 17:29:
> We've got a beamer here which got a remote conrol. So if you attach the
> beamer via the serial connection to your PC, you can trigger the next
> page/item of your favourite presentation software by simply pressing a
> button on the remote control.
> I don't think KPresenter is supporting this quite yet, or is it?

Well, yes and no. kpresenter has an extensive set of dcop properties,
which allow to fully control it from outside. This is more than
needed for the suggested remote control. You just have to write
a little script which ties the dcop commands to the serial line
commands. And I guess it will remain that way, I don't think
that further support within kpresenter is desirable, given the
vast range of possible control devices.

There's just a little problem: When I tried a dcop command a few
minutes ago, kpresenter (as of CVS/HEAD) crashed ... So maybe
you will still have to wait a while to use the feature. But it's
there!

see also:

  $ kdcop
  $ dcop

In my case the right call would probably have been:

  $  dcop kpresenter-4517 0x81c0d8c nextView

whereby 4517 is the PID (you can of course control multiple instances
of presenter) and 0x81c0d8c looks like a bug ...   ;-)

m.