List:       kde-user
Subject:    Fwd: Re: xkbd problem in KDE-1.1.2
From:       Bronek Baraniecki <brunocs () at ! pl>
Date:       2001-03-29 18:00:34

Subject: Re: xkbd problem in KDE-1.1.2
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:26:42 +0300
From: Erik Ohls <eohls@attglobal.net>
To: Bronek Baraniecki <brunocs@at.pl>

Hello,

I take it from your second posting that you are having
trouble with the keycodes in KDE 2.1-1 and not in
KDE 1.1.2 as you state in your subject line.

Anyway, the international keymaps disappeared from
my setup too when I upgraded KDE to some 2.1 beta
some time before Christmas -- but they magically
reappeared three weeks ago when I finally upgraded
to the stable version (for Mandrake 7.2). In other words,
they still exist and one solution to your problem may
be to upgrade once more.

But in the meantime: have you checked the  XkbLayout
line in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/XF86Config?
X should be able to give you the keyboard you need
without intervention from KDE (even if it won't let you
switch between layouts as easily). If you are using
XFree86-4.x.x your XkbLayout line should probably read:

	Option "XkbLayout" "pl"

And if you are using an earlier version of XFree the line
(in /etc/X11/XF86Config) should be:

	XkbLayout   "pl"

Try "PL_pl" or "pl_PL" if the above doesn't work.

If you still don't get the right keycodes you might
 consider writing your own Xmodmap -- have a look at the
 Intkeyb HOWTO at

	<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Intkeyb.html>

On the other hand, if you have a newer version of X it
 probably tries to use xkb instead of xmodmap, and in that
 case you might check that you have a
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb or a /etc/X11/xkb directory. When I
 recently upgraded X, the installer program renamed
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb-old
 without installing a new version -- which my keyboard
 layout did not like at all. I renamed it back and (to be
 on the safe side) made a link to it in /etc, and all is
 well again.

Good luck

Erik

Bruno Baraniecki