List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Konqueror and javascript pages
From:       Stephen Davies <scldad () sdc ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-03-21 6:36:43

I would like to second these comments.

I have run into a number of sites where the javascript breaks Konqueror
(usually resulting in a blank page) and a couple where the java applets
run but produce strange font sizes and one where the applets sent
Konqueror into a permanent spin.(I am using the Sun SDK for Linux 1.2.2)

Sometimes the javascript problem can be at least reduced by judicious
choice of User Agent strings (but they have to be configured with an
editor because the Add button is always grey in the configurator) but
other times this does not seem to help.

Just today I also found a site where the HTML is rendered differently
by Konqueror  (compared to Netscape and IE).

The markup was:
<B><P>text</B>

Konqueror ignored the bold tag (presumably because of the <P> tag) but
both Netscape and IE rendered the text as bold.

This may be technically correct but it still means that the page in
question looked very poor in Konqueror.

I also suspect but cannot prove that Konqueror suffers from memory
leaks under some circumstances. Since updating to 2.1 I have had several
occasions where I have had to logout completely before my disk stops
rattling due to paging/swap - but only after visiting several web sites.

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies
load
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:30:07 -0500, lowlifeboy said:
> Hello...
> Is there a way to 'fix' or get Konqueror to properly handle pages with javasc
> ript or java? I've upgraded to lates KDE 2.1 and, although Konqueror has grea
> tly improved, there are some pages that it has problems handling. I've been t
> old not to use SUN's java, but instead use IBM's. I've done it and the same p
> roblem. As far as javascript goes, I have enabled javascript in Konqueror, bu
> t it seems to help not much.
> Reason I'm asking is just that I really hate to use Netscape for certain thin
> gs and have to leave Konqueror....I like Konqueror much better than Netscape.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated.

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133