List:       kde-user
Subject:    Problem with KDEbeta2 & Redhat 6.2
From:       Jeff Stephens <jsteve17 () tampabay ! rr ! com>
Date:       2001-01-31 22:49:50

> I did a fresh install of Redhat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5.0, and XFree86 3.3.6 and
> then installed

the rpm's for Redhat 6.x from ftp.kde.org.  After resolving all dependencies I
did what I had done
in the past, i.e., created a .xinitrc file with the single entry "startkde"
(minus quotes) and created
a link from /usr/local/etc to /etc.  This used to be necessary to get the kde
login screen.

Now, when I boot, I get the kde login screen but with a gray instead of a blue
background.
Also, I can't login.  When I insert my user name or root and type in the
correct password I get
"login failed".  I then tried to restart the X server.  This produces the
following error message:

    "the application kdm crashed and caused the signal 11"

Then the screen goes to black and the following messages appear:

      "save location /root/.kde/share/config doesn't exist"

      "KCrash! Application Name=kdm path=<unknown>

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jeff Stephens