List:       kde-user
Subject:    Desktop icons for active processes
From:       Nathan Wilson <coyote () expletive ! anim ! dreamworks ! com>
Date:       2001-01-31 18:27:20

Our studio is switching over to using Linux boxes from SGI (IRIX) boxes.
One feature of the IRIX desktop environment is that active user processes
with X GUI's have separate movable icons.  KDE has the taskbar, but I
haven't found any way to rearrange the icons within the panel or anyway to
move the tasks onto the desktop.  Several of our users apparently use this
feature to keep track of which icon represents which window.

I tried playing around with saving the session in a particular
configuration, but under KDE 1.1 the order which the icons appear in the
task bar are inconsistent and under KDE 2.1 I can't get my emacs windows
to relaunch.  The best solution I've come up with is trying to give the
windows more meaningful names, but this is a pain since the method of
changing the title is application dependent.

In any case, this isn't really what the users want since they tend to
create the window on the fly and then want to group them and rearrange
them once they are running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nathan Wilson