List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: make
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-12-31 15:15:32

On Sunday 31 December 2000 01:18 am, Mike Shearer wrote:

| Regarding your suggestion to NOT put the kernel source tree in
| /usr/src/linux, where do you suggest putting it, any other
| arbitrary place?

linus says any old place will do. the critical issue is that the path
to /usr/src/linux (actually, some headers therein) not change from
those against which your glibc was built. there's no compelling
reason why you can't build it in your home directory, though i don't
do that. what i usually do is rename /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/linux[version] (as in /usr/src/linux-2.2.16) and then open
the new kernel source in /usr/src, which creates another (and wrong)
/usr/src/linux. which i then rename, to, say, /usr/src/linux-2.2.18.
then you can rename 2.2.16 back to linux, or you can make a symbolic
link pointing to 2.2.16. i do the latter, but i'm a glutton for
punishment and therefore rebuild my glibc fairly reghularly, too,
which isn't something i'd wish on anyone else.
--
dep