List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Cliff McDiarmid <cliffhanger2 () altavista ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-12-31 12:07:14

On Sun, 31 December 2000, Werner Joss wrote:

> just insert a line
> KDE
> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop - this will bring up kde immediately.
> werner
> On Sunday 31 December 2000 04:14, Kevin Paul wrote:
> > Help! Running KDE2-2.0.1 on RH7.0.  After installing RP3 (since it's the
> > only way I can run PPP no matter what permissions I set) my system starts
> > Gnome by default.  I've done everything I can thing of to my Xclients file
> > but the best I can do is get it to start TWM and I launch KDE from there.
> > What is that d*mn file supposed to say?  TIA
> > --
> > Kevin Paul

Make sure Xclients contains the following(from the beginning) as well:

#!/bin/bash

# check to see if the user has a preferred desktop
PREFERRED=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
    if [ -n "`grep -i GNOME /etc/sysconfig/desktop`" ]; then
	PREFERRED=gnome-session
    elif [ -n "`grep -i KDE /etc/sysconfig/desktop`" ]; then
	PREFERRED=startkde
    elif [ -n "`grep -i AnotherLevel /etc/sysconfig/desktop`" ]; then
	PREFERRED=AnotherLevel
    fi
fi

if [ -n "$PREFERRED" -a "$PREFERRED" != "AnotherLevel" ] && \
	which $PREFERRED >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    PREFERRED=`which $PREFERRED`
    exec $PREFERRED
fi

# now if you reach here, either you want AnotherLevel or there was
# no desktop file present and the PREFERRED variable is not set.

if [ -z "$PREFERRED" ]; then

    GSESSION=gnome-session
    STARTKDE=startkde

    # by default, we run GNOME.
    if which $GSESSION >/dev/null 2>&1; then
	exec `which $GSESSION`
    fi

    # if GNOME isn't installed, try KDE.
    if which $STARTKDE >/dev/null 2>&1; then
	exec `which $STARTKDE`
    fi
fi

MAC