List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Menu stuttering
From:       Mike Green <Mike.Green () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2000-12-30 21:27:22

Thanks for the ideas. I've now tried removing .kderc and .kde directory from
/root. (I'm working as root until I'm finished with all of the setup tasks. As I
explain below, this is a fresh install.)  This does not change the menu
stuttering. [Interestingly, it does restore the red that was missing (see thread
"KDE 2.0.1 losing red") the first time I open the desktop. But if I log out and
back in again, the red is gone. RedHat is GreyHat ;-)]

With respect to your questions about distribution and RPMs:  I'm using RedHat
7.0. And I installed the KDE 2.0.1 RPMs from
http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/2.0.1/distribution/rpm/RedHat/7.0/i386/.

This was essentially a clean install.  I had just had a hard drive failure and
had put in a new hard drive. (20 GB was the smallest the local stores had!) I
then installed RedHat 7.0 using the install everything option, since I felt as
if I had much more than enough drive space. Then I used RedHat Network to update
all of the packages.  That left me with an up-to-date system (at least to the
degree that RedHat Network is up-to-date), but with KDE 1.? (whatever it is that
RedHat packages with 7.0).  I then installed the RPMs for KDE 2.0.1 from
sourceforge noted above, since that was the link given for RedHat 7.0 at
http://www.kde.org/download.html.

I noted in another email (Re: KDE 2.0.1 losing red) that I wasn't able to figure
out for sure which of the packages I might need at some point and which I might
not. I tried to follow the guide at
http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/install.html#AEN383 as much as possible.
And, after getting several this depends on that or this conflicts with that
messages, I went ahead and installed all of the packages using the
--replacefiles option.  I started by installing all of the libmng packages,
because when I tried to install the qt packages it said I needed them. Then I
installed all of the qt packages, followed by htdig, the kdesupport packages,
the kdelibs packages, and then everything else in alphabetical order. Could this
have any bearing on the problem?

TIA!

Mike