List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kde2, enlightenment, gnome...???
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2000-12-12 10:28:53

ok, i know what an x server is, thats easy...

i'm still a bit confused though.  there are desktops >and< window managers?
is that right?  so you start the x server and then start a desktop, then a
window manager?

whats the difference between a desktop and a windows manager?

is kde2 a desktop or windows manager?  what is gnome?

i was in kde2 and from a console i started gnome-session.  this leads me to
believe that gnome isn't a (windows manager)??

is it possible to have multiple desktops running and only one window manager?
 or is it vice versa?  cuz fvwm tells me i have another windows manager if i
have kde2 running already.

according to you post, i deduct that kde2 and gnome are desktops, where as
enlightement is a windows manager. correct?  fvwm is a windows manager, so
does that mean i can run kde2 as my desktop and fvwm as my windows manager?

i read a post where a user said if he runs enlightenment on top of kde2, he'd
lose a lot of functionality of kde2.  what is up with that?

also, i run gnapster under kde2, but its plain and boring looking, not at all
what it looks like on its homepage.  changing gnapser's themes do
>nothing<...does this have something to do with the window manager?

thanks again for the info...i'm sure i'll get the gist of this desktop/window
manager thing with time...and help from people on this list...=)