List:       kde-user
Subject:    Additional information on "Problems with kdm after having installed
From:       Roland Riegel <Roland.Riegel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-11-29 17:05:34

paul.c.leopardi@ac.com wrote:

> Roland,
> Your english is fine. You are, however, facing a few problems:
> 1. The official KDE 2.0 RPMs for SuSE 6.4 and 7.0 install KDE 2.0 side by
> side with old KDE. Directories and package names are different between KDE
> and KDE 2.0. See "Be careful: KDE 2.0 answers about RPMs and libs depend on
> distribution" at http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-user&m=97299020422157&w=2
>
> 2. SuSE Linux uses YaST and SuSEconfig. SuSEconfig is aware of old KDE but
> does not know about KDE 2.0. In particular, the string "/opt/kde" is
> hardwired into /sbin/SuSEconfig, /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.kdm and
> /sbin/init.d/xdm
>
> 3. My guess is that there are a few places in SuSE which need to be changed
> to make KDE 2.0 work fully independently of old KDE. Without these changes,
> you may need to install the old KDE packages to get the old kdm to work
> nicely with xdm. With the old kdm, you should be able to do the following
> to get a kde2 login:
>  0. Using kdm, login as root using kde (ie old KDE)
>  1. In KDE, in kcontrol, go to Applications -> Login Manager
>  2. In Login Manager, add the choice kde2 and leave choice kde as is.
>  3. Log out.
>  4. You should now be able to log in using kde, kde2 or other window
> managers.
> Note that you will still be running the old kdm and not the new one.
>
> I am about to post a message on getting KDE 2.0 kdm to work with SuSE 7.0.
>
> Sorry, I don't know enough about your installation to help further.
>
> --
>
> Send posts to:  kde-user@lists.netcentral.net
>
>  Send all commands to:  kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.net

> This list is from your pals at NetCentral <http://www.netcentral.com/>

Thank you all for your extensive answers!
Since I have probably no time left the next days, I don't know when I can try
out your hints.
But nethertheless some additional information on my running system:
After I had installed "minimal installation" of SuSE 6.3 I downloaded the KDE
*sources* from
ftp://ftp.de.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/2.0/distribution/tar/generic/src/. I
compiled QT and KDE and installed them to /opt/kde2 respectively to /usr/lib/qt2
with the help of the parameter "--prefix" and the $QTDIR environment variable.
Before starting xdm or kde - with "startx" - I always additionaly set
$KDEDIR=/opt/kde2 and $WINDOWMANAGER=/opt/kde2/bin/startkde ( the last I cannot
surely say; I have it in my ~/.bash_profile ( I'm not running Linux at the
moment ) ).

Thank you very much!

Roland