List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Konqueror too slow
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-11-07 11:47:32

On Monday 06 November 2000 21:26, Albert Wagner wrote:
|  First: get it working
|  Second: get it working right
|  third: make it fast
|  			Old Programmer Aphorism
|
|  I think we're still in phase 2.  But ain't it glorious!

Yes, we are still in Phase 2.
As soon as GCC 3.0 compiler is out, there will be a lot of improvements.
At least, I hope so :-))
-AMD-Athlon (Duron) optimizations, for example.
-Multi-threaded QT (and, may be, multi-threaded X)
well it is not connected to GCC 3.0, but will take some time...
-KDE 2.1, while is not a real fix for KDE2, can be treated in this way.
-DOM2 and updated CSS2 specifications released just recently (end of
September-beg. of October). may be, Konqueror will be the first browser to
support these latest specs :-)
Pages developed with CSS2 will be very fast to download and to render on
display, comparing with traditional TABLE / TR / TD tags.

Konqueror is very good on good, standard-compliant sites. Unfortunately, 99%
of sites uses non-standard HTML code or some "hacks" :-(
I personaly prefer browser which works, not crashes (like NS or IE)... And
Konqueror really rocks...
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)