List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: apt-get
From:       Bill Leach <b.leach () usa ! net>
Date:       2000-11-06 9:37:01

It seems to work.  I have a potato machine that I installed KDE (1.1?)
packages on and then upgraded to KDE 2 (and a potato machine that had KDE 2
installed that did not have KDE 1 on it).

I installed the "task-" packages using apt-get.

The upgrade did not remove everthing from the KDE 1 installation, particularly
noted that there are a great deal more icon available on the upgraded machine.
I do remember that there were packages that we removed (as opposed to just
upgraded).  I don't remember now what those packages were but it seem to me
that investigation at the time show that there were packages whoes function(s)
or programs were replace with different packages-- ie: apt's
conflicts/dependencies were correct.

Sri, but I have no idea about kde1 mail but since kde2 mail files look just
like standard mail files it seems like to me that they would work.
The "index" files appear as though they are pretty "straightforward" and
contain version information so again it seems probable to me that there would
be no problem.  Of course there are others that have both upgraded and were
using kde1 kmail that would be able to remove all doubt!

--
best,
-bill