List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Putting KDE 2.0 to work. So do I
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-11-01 8:50:13

Seth,

This is a me too. Thanks KDE team.

I am studying using KDE 2 every night and most of the weekends. I have a
dual boot setup with Windows 98 on one partition and SuSE 7.0 on the other.
I use Lotus Notes Client on Windows 98 to access my work email, and use
SuSE 7.0 with KDE 2.0 to do my applied math study.

I use a university computer which runs Digital Unix with Matlab. To access
it, I dial up the Internet with kppp and use FTP in konqueror to get file
access, plus kssh (or just ssh from the command line) to get a remote
konsole. I edit the files with the advanced editor, opening and saving them
via FTP. Once Matlab is running, it displays graphical results in X-windows
with nice KDE 2.0 borders. Last semester (before KDE 2) I was a heavy user
of Emacs (both remote and local), gcc and tar - I was porting C software
between my PC and the university computers.

If it wasn't for KDE and SuSE Linux, I probably would have bought an
X-Windows emulator for Windows. But then I wouldn't be able to easily port
C and C++ code and makefiles between my home PC and my university account.
I would have needed to do most things on campus.

So, in sum, GNU, SuSE Linux and KDE made it possible for me to do my degree
in some degree of comfort.

                                                                                      \

            Seth Rothberg                                                             \

            <sethmr@bellatlantic.net>                  To:     KDE User List \
                <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
            Sent by:                                   cc:                            \

            kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.n        Subject:     Putting KDE 2.0 \
                to work.
            et                                                                        \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

            31/10/2000 10:27 PM                                                       \

            Please respond to kde-user                                                \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

I've just spent the day working in KDE 2.0. All day long I was editing a
php
file in quanta+ and dragging the file  to my remote web site using
Konqueror.
I was also keeping two other instances of Konqueror open. One for testing
the
changes in my php script and the other was open to the manual on the
php.net
web site.

In addition I had ksetiwatch and kbiff running in the tray.

I got real work done today with KDE without a hitch. Thank you all.

Seth Rothberg