List:       kde-user
Subject:    Mouse/Keyboard locks up - KDE2.0 hangs
From:       mek.nielsen.mn () dk ! agfa ! com
Date:       2000-10-31 12:15:32

Hi,

I'm the very impressed user of KDE2.0 - only not full time :-(

My system is IBM Thinkpad 600E, RH7.0, KDE2.0 (installed form RH RPM's - all
are installed except support-devel and sound-devel).

Symptoms:

Quicly LMB clicking in and outside an apps window (say konsole) will 'hang' the
mouse input - I still have keyboard input active, and can use keyboard to
switch from desktops and so forth. Sometimes mouse input returns after having
switched desktop *many* times. Also alt-tab can help, but if only one app is
running this will *always* hang KDE, i.e. drop keyboard input - no keys pressed
have any effect.

There are variations of how to achieve this 'dead lock' but the result is the
same - first no mouse input poss. and then later maybe no keyboard input poss.
This did not happen in KDE1 and does not happen with other window managers. I
have played with using an alternative to KWIN, but would rather not at present.
Also, no wm support properly kdesktop - it will have it's onw managed window -
uggh!

The safest thing to do is to ctrl-alt-del to exit KDE - but then I can/will
loose data, not to speak of the session I was doing.

Please help if anyone can, as this is stopping me from doing serious stuff.

thanks,
Mek